Solarcentury has continued its expansion into Latin America by delivering a 40MW project in Chile on behalf of Energia Cerro El Morado.

The Doña Carmen solar park was successful in Chile’s energy auction in 2013 and Solarcentury was selected by the SPV to undertake the operations and maintenance of the site for five years.

Construction on the site started in November 2016 and finished last month.

A 15-year PPA has been signed with a number of distribution companies in Chile and 60% of the plant’s generation will be sold under this agreement. The remaining 40% will be sold on Chile’s spot market.

Frans van den Heuvel, chief exec at Solarcentury, said that the company faced stiff competition to land the project and paid testament to his team for ensuring a successful outcome.

“We have been focused throughout on delivering a successful solar project for Energía Cerro El Morado S.A., meeting all target deadlines.  Through our three offices in Latin America, and with backing from the parent company in London, Solarcentury has established a solid presence in Latin America. We are well positioned to deliver further sizeable solar projects in the region,” he said.

LatAm has been identified as a key market for Solarcentury moving forward, and the company has landed projects in Mexico and Panama as well as Chile.

Earlier this year the company secured a 400MW pipeline throughout the LatAm region from private investor ECOSolar.